[schooltool] Fwd: [schooltool-dev] The things produced while i was visiting Belgium
Tom Hoffman
2007-04-24 00:33:18 UTC
Hi all,

I asked Ignas to write up a brief report on the week he spent in
Belgium with Jean-Francois doing some face to face collaboration. His
explanation is a bit unavoidably technical, but hopefully at least
reassuring to those watching from a distance... things are happening,
code is being written, problems are being solved, etc.

The next task is attacking grading and gradebooks from several
directions. Paul Carduner is modifying the CanDo gradebook for
(initially) Jeff Elkner's personal use, Ignas is working on a rather
different style of gradebook traditionally used in Lithuania, and
Jean-Francois is also working on grading for his Belgian school. I am
also mentoring a Brazilian student who is writing a gradebook desktop
client for Edubuntu as part of the Google Summer of Code.

The overall approach at this point is not to try to start with one
solution encompassing all the possible use cases, but to at least have
three or four implementations that suit their local needs well, and
secondarily to have them share as much code as possible. Once we have
some code that works and has been tested in real schools, we'll figure
out what the "official" SchoolTool gradebook will be.

Anyhow, Ignas's report follows.

--Tom