[schooltool] Fwd: CanDo is Done!
Tom Hoffman
2009-02-14 15:15:55 UTC
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Welsh <rdavidw at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 5:00 AM
Subject: Re: CanDo is Done!

Dear Liz --

I would just like to echo Peggy's sentiments, and say how pleased Dr.
Caputo and I were with the two back-to-back CanDo training sessions,
and how well we felt everything went. We have been building up to
this day for years (no kidding) -- from the CTE Resource side as they
have worked on competency lists and related curriculum, and from the
Arlington side as we've worked with you on the competency lists, and
then even more deeply with you to develop the CanDo competency
tracking system.

The support from CTE Resource has been just excellent -- from Peggy
Watson on down, and including Lee Capps, the curriculum writers
(terrific one and all), and our new best friend Glenda! George Wilcox
gave us a VATIE conference session in Richmond (Tuesday, August 2nd,
2005, in case you don't remember!), when CanDo was just a gleam in our
eyes, and Anne Rowe continued the excellent administrative support by
putting together the two-day training.

I would like to recognize our own team back here: CanDo original
champions Mike Morton, Dr. Caputo and Kris Martini; CanDo co-developer
(and now Governor's Academy IT Instructor) Jeff Elkner; SchoolTool
Project Director Tom Hoffman (the "parent" suite of school software of
whom we are a module); SchoolTool professional developers Ignas,
Justas and Alan (who mentor our students); and Jason Straw (our very
own Lee Capps).

We just doubled our base of CanDo users to probably around 150, and we
captured a number of excellent suggestions from pilot users for
improvements to the program. As we work to continue strengthening
both the competency lists and the CanDo software based on user
feedback, I can not help but believe that our students will benefit
tremendously, and can only guess where it will all go. For one thing,
I can venture to say that the CanDo presentations this summer at the
statewide conference (two are currently planned) will be a good deal
more exciting than our 2005 presentation (which still drew over 100
attendees).

Thanks for the support, Liz. This is a powerful success story about a
three-way partnership: VADOE--Arlington--SchoolTool. I expect even
better things to come... fasten your seat belt!

--David Welsh
Dear Liz,
I just wanted to report to you than that the CanDo training sessions were a great success! I'm sure Anne can provide details as well. I have the signature sheets, which I will send your way. You'll be pleased to know that every single person showed up!
David and Jerry did a wonderful job of wowing (and training) the teachers and administrators on CanDo. They were a well-oiled machine and tag team, going back and forth between each other effortlessly. They presented the system, along with the teaching methodology behind it, in a fun, logical, and clear way. They shared the benefits of CanDo from the developer, teacher, trainer, user, and administrator perspectives.
Lee's and Glenda's time and effort on the front end ensured that everyone had correct and complete data ? or at least the best we had to give them. They also provided excellent support for stubborn computers and lost souls during the meetings.
The Center staff members were quick to say that they came away from both days with positive feedback and confidence about the pilot's success. Already, Lee has received emails from other teachers within the pilot school divisions who wish to be a part of this effort. And, we are already giving lots of thought to and getting nervous/excited about how this will roll out to all school divisions this fall.
Thank you for moving CanDo forward for all of Virginia's school divisions with this pilot project. Thank you, too, for allowing the Center to be a part of this great new offering for CTE teachers and administrators.
Have a great weekend,
Peggy
Peggy L. Watson, Administrative Coordinator
CTE Resource Center
2002 Bremo Road, Lower Level
Richmond, VA 23226
Phone: 804-673-3778